My brother Tim has children ten...
In the Spotlight !
This poem is often wrongly thought to be by Robert W Service. It is published here to the memory of Hugh Antoine D'Arcy, it's rightful father.
An Evening with the Bard of the Yukon, July 18 th 2003 at 20.30pm in the Town-Hall of Lancieux, Brittany.
All Entries 1997 - 2002
All Entries 2002
Odds and Ends, Other Items Of Interest About Robert
The MenPublished by Webmaster on 2003/7/21 (7318 reads)
Dago Kid - The Ballad of the Northern Lights -
- He raved and swore, but we tended him with our uncouth, clumsy care. The camp-fire gleamed and he gazed and dreamed with a fixed and curious stare, then all at once he grabbed my gun and he put it to his head, and he says: 'I'll fix it for you, boys!' --- them are the words he said.
- That one of you is a hound of hell ... and that one is Dan McGrew.
Deacon White - The Ice - Worm Cocktail -
"Methinks you're right, and so I have a plan by which I hope to prove to-night the mettle of the man. Just meet me where the hooch-bird sings, and though our ways be rude we'll make a proper Sourdough of this Piccadilly dude."
Doc’ McGee - Death of a Croaker -
- whose lubricant was gin? The poor old Doc' has gone, I fear, to dry and dusty doom;
Dud McClusky - Mc’Clusky’s Nell -
Eddie Malone -The Gramophone at Foud-du-Lac -
- Now Eddie Malone got a swell grammyfone, to draw all the trade to his store;
Father Tim McGee - Black Moran -
Father Tim McGee - The Twins of Lucky Strike -
Fighting Mac -Fighting Mac - -
A pistol shot rings round and round the world; in pitiful defeat a warrior lies. A last defiance to dark Death is hurled, a last wild challenge shocks the sunlit skies. Alone he falls, with wide, wan, woeful eyes: eyes that could smile at death --- could not face shame
Fireman Flynn -The Ballad of Hank The Finn -
Grubbe, of the City Patrol - The Black Sheep -
- But the one that cooked my bacon was Grubbe, of the City Patrol.
Gumboot Jones - Mc'Clusky's Nell -
- An' Gumboot Jones in solemn tones said: "You should hear her sing;
Gum-boot Ben - The Ballad of Gum - Boot Ben -
- I met him later in a bar and made a gay remark anent an ancient miner and an option on the Ark.
Hank The Flynn -The Ballad of Hank The Finn -
Hard-Luck Henry(Smith) - Ballad of Hard-Luck Henry -
- One day while meditating on the waywardness of fate, he felt the ache of lonely man to find a fitting mate; a petticoated pard to cheer his solitary life, a woman with soft, soothing ways, a confidant, a wife. And while he cooked his supper on his Yukon stove, he wished that he had staked a claim in Love's rich treasure-trove; when suddenly he paused and held aloft a Yukon egg, for there in pencilled letters was the magic name of Peg.
Jack - Two Men (J.L. and R. B.) -
Jack-Pot Jim - Athabaska Dick -
- with a wild light in his eye; and he softly laughed, and he led Dick aft, all eager, yet half afraid
Jean Desprez - Jean Desprez - Rhymes of a Red Cross Man -
- Oh ye whose hearts are resonant, and ring to War's romance,
Judge McGraw - Violet De Vere -
- whom folks called Old Necessity, because he knew no law.
Julot - Julot the Apache -
- A little chap just like a boy, with smudgy black mustache,
Voters total: 0